An agreement of great importance for liberation and Urban Development of 198 square kilometers territory, located in the British Bases in Cyprus, was signed on January 15 in London by the Foreign Ministers of Britain and Cyprus, Mr. William Hague and Mr. Ioannis Kasoulides.
Negotiations began on 2nd of October 2013 and were completed recently in Nicosia after ten meetings of the negotiating teams of each side.
Cypriot authorities may now grant authorizations for developments with prior consent from the Authorities of the British Bases which implies to the positive financial influence to 3 municipalities and 16 communities of the whole area for the first time since the country’s independence over half a century ago. Property owners within the British bases will be able to develop their land in six month time.
Provisions of the agreement:
- Enables the integration of a large part of the territory of the bases in urban areas, which will now be allowed to be developed. More specifically, 78% of the territory of the area of the British Bases of about 200 square kilometers and includes the total private property falls in the above setting.
- Ensures equal rights to residents and property owners in the area of the British Bases in relation to the population of the Republic of Cyprus for the development of their property within the limits of the area of the British Bases.
- Withdraws all existing restrictions from the beneficiaries with regards to the acquisition and development of properties within the area of the British Bases, in order to apply to the territory of the area of the British Bases, the laws that are in force in the Republic of Cyprus regarding to the acquisition and development of properties by European citizens and other third countries.
- Coordinates the situation in the British bases in relation to what is currently in force and normalizes the situation of the people residing in the British Bases area.
- Enables the financial growth of the areas within the area of the British Bases, with all its positive effects on the welfare of the residents of the communities, and helps boost the overall economy of Cyprus.
- Confirms the timeless position of The Republic of Cyprus’ side that the British Bases in Cyprus are being used exclusively for military purposes.
- In general, it ensures the vital national interests of the Republic of Cyprus in relation to the U.k’s. British Base Areas.